Procedures to apply to sit for the PMP Certification Exam
The following is a summary of the steps needed to apply for the PMP® Exam (full details are documented in the PMP® Handbook available at www.pmi.org )
- Determine your eligibility to take the exam (see below)
- Create an account with the Project Management Institute (PMI)® at the www.pmi.org website
- Sign up for PMI® membership (optional)
- Fill out and submit the online application for the Project Management Professional (PMP)® exam
- Receive acceptance from PMI® (they usually take a week to review your application)
- Pay the exam fees
- (At any point until now you may get audited in which case you will need to complete the audit steps before continuing)
- Receive approval from PMI® allowing you to schedule the exam (they will send you an eligibility code)
- Schedule your test at the Prometric website (www.prometric.com ) using your eligibility code.
- Take the test at the Prometric location at the date and time that you had scheduled
There are no set dates for taking the PMP® exam. You can schedule the exam for any date and time that is suitable for you, subject to availability.
Eligibility Requirements to take the PMP® exam
If you have a bachelors degree you need to show 36 months and 4500 hours of relevant work experience.
If you do not hold a bachelors degree then the requirement increases to 60 months and 7500 hours.
Relevant experience means any Project Lead or Project Management experience, no matter how small or how large the project, nor which industry. All experience must be within the last 8 years only (experience longer than 8 years prior to applying will be completely ignored).
The PMP® Exam
The PMP® exam itself is 4 hours long and you have to answer 200 challenging multiple choice questions that will test your knowledge of PMP® principles and PMI® framework.
All 200 questions are selected at random when the exam starts and are non-adaptive. There are no sections. After you have completed the exam you will receive the results immediately and a pass means that you are PMP® certified and can use the PMP® designation immediately.
At 1st Choice Project Management Training we are fully focused on helping you pass your exam.